Learning a language is fun when you enjoy what you’re doing. Good materials are important, just like a good teacher (and lots of practice and patience!). Try different materials and approaches to find what works for you. My students and I have road-tested these Spanish books and materials, and we’ve found them helpful along the path to fluency.
[ Clicking on any of the links below takes you to Amazon.com, where you can purchase these or any other items and help support this website at the same time, with no additional cost to you. Please bookmark it! … Gracias!]
. . . . .
- “Agentes secretos y el mural de Picasso”, ISBN 978-0-9836958-0-2. Class text for Miracosta College winter 2015 class “Spanish Story & Conversation” starting Jan 29, 2015. A short and entertaining suspense story story completely in Spanish that takes place in Spain at the time of the Civil War. Click on the image below to purchase from Amazon.com.
Alternatively, the book can be purchased online or by phone here.
- El viaje de su vida. Class text for Miracosta College 2014 Fall class “Spanish Story & Conversation” starting Sept 11, 2014. A short and entertaining suspense story completely in Spanish that takes place aboard a cruise to the Yucatan.
- Casi se muere. Class text for Miracosta College 2014 Spring class “Spanish Through Story & Conversation” starting April 17, 2014. A brief, easy and engaging story completely in Spanish, with a taste of romance, about a young American woman studying Spanish in Chile.
- Practical Spanish Grammar. For beginners to advanced. A self-teaching guide with easy-to-grasp explanations of grammar, useful vocabulary, practice dialogs and lots of workbook exercises with answers included.
- Schaum’s Easy Outline of Spanish. Excellent grammar reference book. Concise, easy-to-follow explanations. (No workbook exercises.) Easy-to-carry, smaller-sized book.
- 50 Ways to Improve Your Spanish. Great book for smoothing off the rough edges — featuring 50 stand-alone lessons on the most common mistakes English-speaking students make when speaking Spanish. (No workbook exercises.) Easy-to-carry, smaller-sized book.
- Patricia va a California. Class text for Miracosta College 2013 Fall class “Spanish Through Story & Conversation”. A brief and easy novel completely in Spanish about a young Guatemalan woman who visits the United States as an exchange student. A great way to practice your Spanish, even if you didn’t take the class.
- Pobre Ana. Class text for Miracosta College 2013 summer class “Spanish Through Story & Conversation”. A brief and easy novel completely in Spanish about a young American woman who goes to live in Mexico, an experience that changes her outlook on life. A great way to practice your Spanish, even if you didn’t take the class.
- Easy Spanish Step-by-Step. Easy-to-follow grammar explanations with lots of great practice exercises and readings. Answer key included. Levels: Beginner to Advanced.
- Spanish Vocabulary Chart. A handy, laminated fold-out chart of the most essential Spanish vocabulary, includes alphabet, pronunciation and numbers.
More coming soon!